Sunday, January 01, 2012

The Wrap Up


Definitely could’ve squeezed out Book 42, but got caught up with the pre- and post-Xmas whirlwind of familial obligations and socializing.  Damn the holidays!

2011 was nevertheless a fantastic year for me with a new record of 41 books.  With Olman’s 61, we have a combined total of 102 in our household.  There were a few new parents in the 50-book circle, which has been very exciting, but also resulted in lower overall output and contribution.  There have been a few resolutions to get motivated again, so let’s hope 2012 will help parents find some extra time for reading and posting! 

For Olman and myself, not busy raising little ‘uns certainly helped, but I think, for me at least, I’m becoming more efficient in my reading.  And I have learned that I can write my reviews during slow times at work.  This works great because I actually look like I’m working instead of surfing the internet!

Though I was aiming to break the previous year’s record of 34 books, I really wasn’t expecting to hit the 40th milestone this year.   It was only due to the enthusiastic lending of graphic novels by a mutual friend in November that helped me get past 40 books, otherwise I would not have considered even touching comics.  But since I have read a fair number of hefty novels this past year, I felt justified in counting the occasional comic.  However, my top 5 favourite reads of the year are all novels:

  Fingersmith
  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest
  Far From the Madding Crowd
  HMS Surprise
  Crocodile on the Sandbank

[I suppose it is kind of interesting to note that 4 of these novels are set (or partially set) in pre-20th century England]

I am closer to the 50 book milestone than ever before, but at the same time, don’t want to get too worked up about reaching for the gold.  I’d be happy to read 40 books again for 2012 and I have a great incentive:  to whittle down my huge, ever-expanding on-deck pile!

No comments: